A burglar recently broke into a Newport Beach home while the resident was out of town, police reported.
The burglary took place sometime between Friday at 1 p.m. and Saturday at 9 a.m. at a home on San Mateo Way. According to police, an unknown suspect climbed up to the rear second story balcony and then smashed a bathroom window.
Police say it is unknown if the suspect stole anything from the house.
Home Security Tips:
- Close and lock all doors, windows and garage door.
- All exterior doors should be equipped with a deadbolt lock, which should always be used have a security strike plate, attached with a minimum of two, three inch screws.
- If you have an alarm, always activate it when you are away.
- Use photo cells or timers to turn both interior and exterior lights on and off.
- If you are going to be out of town, ask a trusted friend or neighbor to check on your home and pick up your mail. Signup for a vacation check from the police department at www.nbpd.org
Don't Open the Doors to Strangers:
- Install and use a peephole with a minimum 190 degree view.
- When you go to the door, have your phone with you.
- Acknowledge you are home without opening the door.
- If the individual acts suspiciously, call the police department immediately and provide them with a description of the subject and why you thought their behavior was suspicious.
Call police immediately if you see suspicious activity in your neighborhood at 949-644-3717.